Friday, November 26, 2010

Thankful : Day 25 Family Traditions

For the last eight years one of the traditions we have in our family is to run the Turkey Trot early on Thanksgiving Morning. Now not everybody runs the whole thing. Some run, some walk/trot, and some just simply walk. I actually started the tradition the first year I ran it alone, but some of my cousins promised to do it with me the next year and the tradition was born. For the first 6 years it was an 8K which is almost 5 miles, now for the last two years they changed it to a 5K (3.2 miles) so the participation has increased both for the race itself and in our family.

The weather is typically unpredictable. Sometimes the weather is perfect, slightly cool, overcast with zero humidity. However this year it was crazy. It was 28 degrees with some strong winds! Luckily some of my cousins made sure to let know in advance so that me and Mr. Mixologist could prepare and pack accordingly. Trust me, we had our layers in effect.

We had a total of 8 family members including my boyfriend that ran the Turkey Trot but my parents, my uncle, sister and other family came downtown to cheer for us, take pictures and brought hot cocoa and coffee ! My uncle owns a carpet and flooring business so a few years ago he started giving us shirts to wear during the trot for some free advertising.

We have a lot of fun as a family at this event. The jokes and clowning about who did what, who needed a defibrolator, who "won" and who "lost" goes on for months afterwards ! LOL The organization that sponsors the race does a lot of good in the community. Also it is the perfect family bonding opportunity and the fact that we are modeling being physically active to the little ones BEFORE we indulge in our Thanksgiving Feast is a good example for them I think.

Today I am thankful for family traditions and the joy they bring.

What are some of your family traditions?

What are you thankful for ?

Thoughts ? Comments ? Questions ?

Beautifully Complex
Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®

No comments: