Monday, March 5, 2012

Weekend Wrap Up

Friday night was a scheduled "date night". We have been busy with traveling and  dealing with my moms health, so it had been a minute since we had some down time for us. I got to plan the evening and it was a hit. Mr. Mixologist loved both of my picks.

We went to dinner at Convivo Tapas Bar & Lounge. It is a fairly new place. The service was excellent,  the tapas were pretty good, but the Sangria was great ! I like the decor and the atmosphere. A big plus was the live band which we did not expect. We will definitely go back again. I did not get a chance to snap pics of the food before we demolished it, but the presentation was nice and I saw a few things on the menu I would like to try next time.


Next stop was a little jazz spot Cezanne that I have been meaning to get to for a while. It has fallen on & off my radar in the last year or so but I was determined to get there since I was planning the date. My Beau loves jazz. The place is very small, in fact, I would actually call it a jazz room LOL. But I must say the music was really, really good. The funny thing about it is,  the patrons for the most part were a bit on the "older"  side as well as the musicians too. The place is pretty close to a very "old moneyed " area of Houston called River Oaks so it should not have been a surprise. There were a mix of yuppies & buppies too but for the most part, those older people had it locked down. There was this one older lady who was really partying.  It is nice to see people who know how to have fun no matter their age. The funny part is that after a big dinner & listening for a while, we were both getting a little sleepy and so was the young couple near us. They guy was nodding off.  The older folks however, were jammin' till they shut it down! LMAO  It is a true jazz lover's spot, meaning it is ALL  about the music. It is not a meat market or "see & be seen" type place & there is nothing special about the decor. People were dressed up AND dressed down, but the common denominator is , you can tell everyone is there for the music.

Saturday after doing some household chores, I had to get ready to "babysit" for my friend who was going out of town to see her guy. I kept her 13 yr old and 9 yr old daughters.  The three of us went to see the new Dr. Seuss movie with Dan.ny De.vito. It was pretty good, but I just think 3D movies are so ridiculously expensive these days. The girls really enjoyed themselves though, so I guess that its worth it, but I feel like parents are being taken advantage of by so many marketers !

The girls stayed overnight so on Sunday one of them came to church with me & Mr. Mixologist.  The other one had a scheduled play date to go to the Houston Livestock & Rodeo with one of her friends, so we dropped her off. This event is a really big deal in Houston every year believe it or not so she did not want to miss her play date !  After dropping her, we then we headed to the Galleria to go shopping.

Luckily, I had prepared dinner in the crock pot before we left for church, so when we got back to the house that afternoon, the kitchen was smelling good. I made this recipe right here. Thanks Mrs. TDJ ! It was a hit. Sunday night we watched movies and I cleared out my DVR & got prepared for the week.  It turned out to be a somewhat busy and fun weekend.

How was your weekend ? What did you do ?

Thoughts ? Comments ? Questions ?

Beautifully Complex 

2 comments:

MrsTDJ said...

Glad to hear that you and the Mr got some nice quality time out on the town. Told you the recipe was easy peasy! Add other ingredients as you like. I usually throw in a few handful of mushrooms as well.

Beautifully Complex said...

@mrstdj
Yes I actually added mushrooms and zucchini and it was awesome !