Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Interpretations: Love

Love is...putting the needs of another person above your own.

Love is never selfish.

Love is...being able to be your true self and being accepted flaws and all. 

Love is unconditional.

Love comes in different forms, romantic love, parental love, sibling love, friend love, Christian love.

Love is universal.

Love can be unexpected, uncontrollable, and unrestrained. It can also be quiet and unassuming.

Love is stronger than pride.

Love survives the ups and downs, the in and outs, the changes in life.

Love may change forms, but if it's real, it always remains.

The unconditional love that I see most of the time is parental love.  Sacrifice is synonymous with this type of love. It's seems like the most consistent and all encompassing.  Maybe because for most people, its the first love they experience. That's why the loss of a parent or a child seems so unbearable.

I think the ability to be unselfish, even when it might not be your first inclination, is the key to a lasting romantic love relationship. Can you imagine two people constantly striving to put the other person' s needs first ? How can you lose like that ? Two people trying to do what's best for the OTHER person everyday for life.  The way I see it, if you are meeting my needs and desires consistently, it won't be hard for me to reciprocate that on a daily, unless I am selfish.

My greatest desire from the standpoint of love is to be loved unconditionally. I need to know that I am loved even on the days when I may not be the most lovable. I need to be confident that I will not be judged by my worst day but the sum total of who I am.  I need to know that you love ME, not the idea of me, and not me in theory. LOL !

Love is one of the most powerful emotions created by God.  True love is very strong, especially when you truly have the capacity to love with an OPEN heart. There are many people who are not open to love and often don't even realize it. I think the most common reason is the fear of the other side... the loss of love. 

In reflecting, I believe that I have experienced true romantic love 3 times in my 41 years, present company included.  The saying about love and loss is really true in my opinion. I think that love is a blessing. Despite the heartbreaks, I am better for having experienced it. However, this is a much easier revelation once you have healed. The most important thing is to not let the loss of love change you and hinder you from being able to experience new love in all of its forms.

What is your interpretation of  love ?

Thoughts ?

Comments ?

Beautifully Complex


No comments: